I’m ready to take on bigger and grander projects with Miss Singer. We’re finally on the same page and working smoothly with each other after many trials and tribulations throughout the past few months. As I move forward into larger projects, there are some basic things I have learned that I would like to now share with you, the beginner sewers, wanna-be sewers, or potential sewers.
I give you my Top Ten Do’s and Don’ts of Sewing:
1. DO purchase the correct type of needle depending on what you are sewing.
2. DO purchase the right type of thread for different fabric types as well.
3. DON’T forget to check, double check, and triple check your lines, measurements, and pins.
4. DON’T forget to iron flat your work as you go.
5. DO take your time and DON’T be afraid to stop and come back to a project later.
6. DO take the time to organize and clean your space before working.
7. DON’T start a project that you’re not excited about, don’t have time for, or wont finish.
8. DON’T be afraid to try something you haven’t done before.
9. But DO practice on scrap pieces before you try something new.
10. DO look into purchasing or working with an antique sewing machine; it’s tough to learn on one, but it’s worth it.